It could be lack of protein, not enough water, not enough sleep, stress, you might have skipped breakfast and your body is only now catching up or you might just fancy something nice to eat to get you through the rest of the working day. If my experience as a lawyer is anything to go by, we don’t all find our day jobs that exciting!
Even the fittest and healthiest people I know get the 3pm munchies so don’t beat yourself up. The solution is to work out if there is a reason and address the reason. If you can’t, then avoid the cookies and opt for something nutritious.
My 6 “TO DO’s” to combat the mid afternoon SLUMP
1. Sleep …… As much as you can get but definitely more than 6 hours. Switch off those electrical appliances at least 45 minutes before hitting the sack and leave them in another room when you sleep!!
2. Enjoy a breakfast of protein and healthy fats. Check out my breakfast pancake.
3. Eat protein with every meal and snack even if it’s just a teaspoon of soaked chia seeds or some nuts.
4. Drink water. In fact, this should be your first port of call when you get those munchies or maybe a herbal tea…..I love green tea
5. Chill. It’s normal to want food.
6. Keep a stash of healthy snacks close to hand.
I used to keep the following snacks in my drawer at work and I always have things in my bag just incase!
- A pot of unsweetened apple sauce and a spoon of nut butter
- A mix of seeds and nuts with some coconut and a few dark chocolate chips thrown in
- An apple and some almonds
- A scoop of clean protein powder
- Some homemade energy/protein bars. Try this recipe. I have a tray of this or at least a variation of it on hand most weeks.
Date, nut and apple slices
300g of pitted Medjool dates
150g of toasted almonds
150g of mixed nuts (I used pecans, cashews and macadamia nuts)
2 tablespoons (30ml) of coconut or other oil like macadamia nut oil)
40g of freeze dried apples
1 tablespoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of natural orange or vanilla extract
Protein powder (optional)
Blitz the nuts to a crumble. Blitz the dates and coconut oil to form a paste.
Tip the date mixture and the crumbled nuts (and protein powder) into a bowl. Add the spices and flavours and mix together by hand until fully combined.
Line a tray with parchment paper (9inch x 9 inch). Press mixture into the tray and chill. Slice and demolish……did I say “demolish”!