Loving these breakfast bars. I’ve also been having them for snack and crumbling them up into plain Greek yoghurt when I need an extra protein boost. Add chocolate chips and the kids will love them too. If you’re in a nut free school, take out the nuts and switch up the coconut oil in favour of 1/2 cup of melted butter or other nut free oil. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Ingredients (makes 12 bars)
- 1/2 cup of walnuts/pecans/almonds or a mix of all 3 (broken into little pieces)
- 1 cup of dried fruit (I like cranberries sweetened with apple juice, unsulphured apricots and raisins)
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds
- 2 medium ripe bananas
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or honey (depending on taste and totally optional……the banana and fruit make these sweet but I’ve found that kids like the extra sweetness…..you can add it for the first batch and then gradually cut it out)
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil (or other oil)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of old fashioned (thick cut) oats
- 1/2 cup of spelt/whole wheat or oat flour (Spelt works best but the others work too)(you can also switch up for protein powder for a protein boost!)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional)( I don’t add it when I add chocolate chips but I do when it’s just nuts, seeds and dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut (optional)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line an 8inch by 8inch square baking pan.
- Toast the nuts and coconut.
- Mash the banana and add the oil, honey or maple (if using) and the vanilla.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and combine.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture together with the coconut and seeds and combine.
- Stir through the nuts and dried fruit and chocolate chips if using.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan and smooth out.
- Bake for around 30 minutes until golden on top.
- Cool completely before cutting and store in the fridge.
Grab and go. Yum!
Remember to check me out on Instagram too!