Is it really naughty of me to share my nutella recipe with you just as I throw out the idea of doing 30 days of clean eating in November. I think not…..you know me. It’s not like I’d fill up that nutella with junk now!!
Before I get started with the recipe……..I’ve been asked about the 30 day challenge. It’s nothing special: just 30 days of vegetables, fruit, lean protein (including eggs), nuts and seeds, coconut and olive oil, oats and whole grains. You can also throw in some plain unsweetened yoghurt, coconut water and coconut milk, fresh almond milk and an avocado or 3. You can stick as many herbs and spices in there as you like. (Garlic and coconut oil would make shoe leather taste delicious 🙂 )I’ll share loads of ideas with you so don’t worry and I’ll be along for the ride too so I’ll be there if you need to shout. So if you’re shopping, I’d buy the following:
30 day Challenge shopping list
Old fashioned or steel cut oats
Almond meal/flour (expensive but goes a long way)
Unsweetened Cocoa (preferably raw cacao but it’s expensive!)
Nuts and seeds (raw almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds)
Greens (but not iceberg lettuce, romaine)
Veggies like zucchini, pumpkin, squash, peppers, broccoli…
Fruit (apples, pears, berries etc. the odd banana not 20 a day!!)
Lean protein like Chicken, fish, turkey, eggs, lean red meat, veggie protein
Greek yoghurt, almond milk, coconut milk
Just so you know though, my elimination diet won’t feature any grains of any kind nor will it feature dairy so you’ll have the option to see it hard core if you fancy trying it!
Now onto that nutella. This is seriously good shit and I’m giving you options to suit your tastes. I’ll be having the raw cacao, no sugar version during my elimination diet J No food torture for me!
This makes one big mason jar.
120g (1 cup) of raw hazelnuts
250ml of unsweetened (no sulphites) coconut milk
75g (just less than a ½ cup) of sugar (I use coconut sugar)
200g of dark chocolate (I use Green & Blacks 70%)
- Roast the hazelnuts in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Don’t let them burn.
- Remove the nuts from the oven, put them in a clean dish cloth and rub the skins off (you don’t need to be meticulous about it!) and set aside.
- Warm the milk, add the sugar and allow to dissolve and then add the chocolate and allow to melt. Set aside.
- Add the nuts to a blender/food processor and pulverize. I get mine close to being a paste. Add the chocolate mixture and blitz again.
That’s it!!! Pour into a mason jar and eat it all at once!
- If you want to go really low or no sugar, omit the sugar and use 100% cacao. It’s bitter but if you eat it with a banana or an apple it’s still delicious.
- Do the above and add stevia. Personally I’m not a lover of stevia. I always get the aftertaste.
- Instead of the chocolate, try adding a ¼ cup (30g) of raw cacao and 30g of coconut oil.