You can be the most organised person in the whole world and believe me, I am daily diary organised, but sometimes life just gets the better of you. I had an unexpected trip to A&E and a couple of follow ups this week after my daughter Eva fell off her horse and hurt her ankle. Of course I hadn’t built that into my plans so stuff had to get shifted. I did a gym workout at lunchtime instead of in the morning and I sacrificed some sitting on my backside time, swapping the backside time for an early night in bed. I also did one of my workouts in the garden in the rain rather than waste time driving to the gym and back.
You know what they say, where there’s a will there’s a way. I’m also grateful too for the food that I prepare and store in the fridge and the freezer. These little nuggets are a meal in a bar so I’ve been able to grab and go knowing that I have all the nutrition I need to get me through what I’ve been doing. So these, boiled eggs and bags of spinach. What more could a girl ask for LOL.
Tasty nut bars
- 21/4 cups (250g) of oats (I use old fashioned rolled oats)(if using protein powder, only use 2 cups,220g of oats)
- 1 cup (approx 200g) of mixed raw nuts (I used cashews and almonds)
- 11/2 cups (approx 200g) of mixed seeds (I used sesame and sunflower)
- 11/2 cups of nut butter (I used almond butter)
- 1 medium mashed ripe bananas (approx 100g or 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract (optional but I love it)
- 1/2 cup (approx 60g) of honey (you can swap out for another mashed banana but it makes the texture slightly softer. It’s every bit as good, but it’s crunchy with the honey)
- 3 scoops or 90g of protein powder (Optional. See note above. You should reduce the quantity of oats if using protein powder)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease and line a baking tin of approximately 10″ by 12″
- Combine the dry ingredients
- Warm the nut butter and honey in a pan to soften. Add the vanilla. Combine the banana into the nut butter, honey and vanilla until you have a thick paste.
- Mix the dry ingredients with the nut butter mix until it’s combined. I used my hands.
- Oil your hands lightly and then flatten the mix into the baking pan. It should be about an inch thick.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.
- This firms up as it cools so don’t worry if it seems gooey when you take it out of the oven.
Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee or green tea! Bliss…….