By popular demand, whatever granola bars; so named because they change for me every time I make them depending on what I fancy eating and have in the cupboard. As always, read the notes*
Basic recipe (my cup holds 240ml – see picture)
2 cups of oats*
1/2 cup of ground flax seed (linseed) or wheat germ or whole wheat flour (I tend to use flax)
2 scoops of your favourite protein powder (optional)(I use)
1/3 cup of slivered (sliced) almonds*
1/4 cup of sunflower seeds (raw, unsalted)*
1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds (raw, unsalted)*
1/4 cup of sesame seeds (raw, unsalted)*
3/4 cup of dried fruit
100ml of pure honey or pure maple syrup
1/4 cup of oil (I use coconut or macademia or walnut)
2 egg whites (beaten)
2 teaspoons of cinnamon (optional)
2 teaspoons of cocoa (optional)
1 scraped vanilla pod (optional)
1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips (optional)
Grated lemon rind (optional)
* You can use any seeds (chia, pumpkin, sunflower, hemp, sesame). I used 3/4 of a cup of mixed seeds (pumpkin, sesame, hemp, chia and sunflower as I had them all). You can replace any of the seed items, so instead of using 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds and 1/4 cup of sunflower seeds, you could use 1/2 cup of pumpkin seeds or 1/2 cup of hemp seeds. You could use 1/4 cup pumpkin and 1/4 cup of chia. You can also replace the seeds with oats so no seeds and an extra 1/2 cup of oats.
* substitute a 1/4 of a cup of oatmeal with a 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
* protein powder is optional. I used egg white protein powder this time.
* I used raisins and chopped no sulphur apricots
* substitute almonds with pecans or walnuts or macademia nuts
* on the “optional” items, I replaced a 1/4 cup of oatmeal with coconut and I added vanilla and lemon rind
Mix everything together and flatten into a greased and lined 8 inch square pan. Heat the oven to 325 degrees and bake for about 30 minutes. Leave it to cool before cutting into 12 or 16 squares. Use a sharp knife. Note that if you try to cut it before it’s cool, it will crumble.
*For fussy children, just use the oats, the wholewheat flour, the maple syrup, the egg whites, the oil, the raisins and the chocolate chips or just add the raisins and once it’s cool, drizzle melted dark chocolate over the top.